Austrian Residence Permit: Requirements and Application Steps

Table of Contents


What is it?

A residence permit is a document that provides you with permission to stay in a country, in this case, Austria, for a specified period of time.

Who needs it?

Any person planning to stay in Austria for more than six months, including students, family members of Austrian residents, or workers planning to live and work in Austria, will need this permit.


  1. Check whether you need a visa to enter Austria: It can depend on your current nationality.
  2. Once arrived in Austria, register your initial arrival with the local Authority within three days.
  3. Gather the necessary documents (see below).
  4. Apply for your Residence Permit at the immigration office in Austria relevant to your locality. The Migration Office in Austria MA 35 is responsible for this in Vienna.
  5. Attend an interview.
  6. If the application is approved, you will receive a residence permit that allows you to live and typically work in Austria.

Required Documents

  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Proof of accommodation in Austria (like a rental agreement)
  • Proof of insurance coverage
  • Your most recent diploma or proof of graduation
  • Proof of sufficient income or financial means to support yourself during your stay (proof can vary)

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

Completing the application may require patience as the process can be lengthy and bureaucratic. Be prepared to potentially deal with paper forms, long waits, and possibly, multiple visits to the office. However, maintaining a positive attitude, thorough preparation, and having patience can all contribute to a smoother and more efficient process. Note: This guide provides general guidance only. Always check the most up-to-date requirements on the official government website or consult with an immigration expert.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides