Belgium Child Benefit: Eligibility, Application, and Procedure Guide

Table of Contents


What is it?

Child Benefit is a social security payment which is distributed by the federal government to help families cope with the cost of raising children. In Belgium, child benefit is often referred to as family allowances (allocations familiales).

Who needs it?

Any parent(s) or guardian(s) who have children under the age of 25 and are living in Belgium can claim child benefits.


  1. Before you apply, ensure that you have all the required documents ready from all parties involved. This includes parents and the children.
  2. Fill an application form. If you’re non-resident, you can download the bilingual non-residential application form (in French and Dutch) available at the Belgium Social Security portal.
  3. Send the filled and signed application form, along with the required documents to the competent child benefits agency. The agency can be FAMIFED, if you are non-residential and work for an international institution.
  4. Await a response from the child benefits agency. They will check all the documents.
  5. If eligible, you will receive child benefits periodically. If any changes happen, such as the child starting to work or leaving school, then it is important to communicate these changes to the child benefits fund to avoid any issues.

Required Documents

  • Birth Certificate of the child(ren)
  • Identity documents of the parent(s) or guardian(s)
  • Proof of residence

These documents will need to be translated into either French or Dutch if they are not in those languages.

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

  • Non-resident parents in an international institution may apply for child benefits directly through FAMIFED.
  • The amount of child benefit varies based on various factors like the age of the child, if the child has any siblings etc.
  • Please note that the child must not be earning more than a certain ceiling or the benefits may stop.

Please note that these rules and regulations may vary and it would be best to get in touch with authorities to get the most accurate and updated information.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides