Comprehensive Guide to Family Reunification Immigration

Table of Contents


What is it?

Family reunification is a recognized reason for immigration in many countries. It allows for the family members of individuals already living in a particular country to immigrate to the same country.

Who needs it?

This service is relevant to individuals whose family members are living abroad and they wish to join them. This could be spouses, children, parents, or other family members.


  1. Understand the Eligibility: Before applying, it’s important to confirm if you are eligible for family reunification. Each country has its own set of rules, selection factors might include the relationship to the relative, age, dependency relations, etc.

  2. Applications: Applications can usually be made at the embassy or consulate of the country where your family member is living. For instance, in Germany, you apply at a German embassy or consulate in your home country.

  3. Processing: Once the application is submitted, it will be processed. The duration of the processing time varies from country to country.

  4. Decision: After the application is processed, a decision is made. If approved, you can then proceed with further steps necessary to move.

Required Documents

The required documents can vary depending on the laws and regulations of the concerned country, but generally, you may need:

  • Proof of Relationship (Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate)
  • A valid passport
  • Residence Permit (if residing in the country)
  • Financial Stability Proof

Regarding acquiring these documents, except for financial proof, other documents are usually issued by official institutions in your home country. For the financial stability proof, bank statements or work contracts can be used.

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

Family reunification laws and conditions may vary greatly from one country to others. It is greatly recommended to check with the embassy/consulate of the country where your family member is residing to clear out specific details. Also, legal help can be taken to ease out the process.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides