How to Obtain Proof of Residency in Chile for Expats

Table of Contents


What is it?

Proof of Residency in Chile is a crucial document required for various legal and administrative purposes such as opening a bank account, applying for a visa, or getting a local driver’s license. Our service helps you seamlessly navigate the process of obtaining this document, ensuring you have all the required paperwork and understanding the steps involved.

Who needs it?

This service is ideal for expats, new immigrants, or long-term visitors in Chile who require proof of residency for legal, financial, or employment purposes. Whether you’re setting up a bank account, applying for a job, or needing to fulfill visa requirements, this service ensures you have the necessary documentation.


  1. Gather all the required documents (see the next section).
  2. Visit your local Chilean Civil Registry office (link: .
  3. Submit your documents and fill out the required request form.
  4. Pay the necessary application fees (varies by region).
  5. Wait for the confirmation and processing time (usually 2-3 weeks).
  6. Collect your proof of residency from the Civil Registry office upon notification.

Required documents

  • Valid Passport: Obtainable from your home country’s passport issuing authority.
  • Rental Agreement or Utility Bill: Must be in your name and show your current address.
  • Chilean ID (RUT card): Apply for a RUT at the nearest Servicio de Impuestos Internos (link: .
  • Income Proof: Could be salary slips, bank statements, or a letter from your employer.

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

  • You can book an appointment online for quicker processing at the Civil Registry office (link: .
  • There may be a backlog and waiting times can vary, it’s advisable to plan ahead.
  • Ensure all documents are translated into Spanish by a certified translator if they are in another language.
  • Some regions offer expedited services for an additional fee; inquire at the Civil Registry office.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides