European Health Insurance Card: Get Essential Medical Care Abroad

Table of Contents


What is it?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) ensures that you’ll get the necessary medical care in any member country of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland. It covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home.

Who needs it?

The card is available to all EU citizens and long-term residents, as well as to their families. Scholars and students studying abroad can also apply.


  1. You can apply for the EHIC through your national health insurance provider.
  2. Fill in the application form that is available on the provider’s website.
  3. Submit the form along with the necessary documentary proof, if required.
  4. The EHIC will be delivered to your address via mail.

Required Documents

Documents to be submitted might vary by countries, but standard documents include:

  1. Your Identification Proof
  2. Your Social Security Card
  3. Proof of Residence
  4. Filled Application Form

Please consult with your national health insurance provider for more specific requirements.

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

  • The card is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.
  • Despite being a EU initiative, Switzerland is also part of the EHIC program.
  • The card grants you access to medical treatment under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in that country. However, do note that healthcare systems vary from one country to another, and so does the treatment you receive.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides