Step-by-Step Guide to Obtain a Non-Resident Certificate in Spain

Table of Contents


What is it?

The non-resident certificate is a document that certifies an individual’s non-residential status in a country. This certification is often required for various administrative or banking processes, such as opening a non-resident bank account.

Who needs it?

Any individual who cannot or does not intend to establish residency in Spain but requires an official document to certify their non-resident status for legal, financial, or administrative purposes.


  1. Obtain a White NIE: If you haven’t already, you need to obtain a Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE), which can be applied for at Spanish consulates.

  2. Book an Appointment at Your Local Police Station: Visit the national police website and book an appointment at your local station in Spain.

  3. Attend the Appointment: Attend your appointment with all the required documents, which include:

    • Valid passport.
    • Completed EX-15 form (application for NIE).
    • Proof of the reason for your request, like a property purchase or banking requirement.
  4. Pay the Fee: Pay the fee for the issuance of the non-resident certificate. This can often be completed at a designated bank.

  5. Submit Your Documents: Present the paid fee receipt and all documents at your local police station to finalize the process.

Required Documents

  • Valid Passport: Original and a copy.
  • NIE Application Form (EX-15): Completed form which can be found here .
  • Proof of Appointment Booking: Confirmation of your cita previa.
  • Justification for Request: Document justifying the need for a non-resident certificate (e.g., a letter from your bank).
  • Payment Receipt for Fee: Proof of payment for the administrative fee.

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

  • For those moving to Spain from countries like Germany, make sure to cancel any existing non-resident services in Germany if required.
  • If you are applying for a non-resident certificate to open a bank account, ensure you have all necessary bank-related documents to avoid delays.
  • Non-EU spouses who need this certification to relate their empadronamiento or other residency documents can also follow these steps, but may additionally require marriage certificates or other relation proofs.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides