Residence Card for Non-EU Family Members of EU Citizens in Spain

Table of Contents


What is it?

The Residence Card of a Family Member of a European Union citizen is a document that allows non-EU family members to reside legally in Spain, tied to their EU citizen family member. This card facilitates their living, working, and traveling within the EU.

Who needs it?

This card is required for non-EU family members of EU citizens who intend to live with their EU relative in Spain. These family members generally include spouses, registered partners, children, and dependent relatives.


  1. Initial Research and Appointment Booking

    • Visit the Extranjería website to book an appointment (cita previa) at the local immigration office (Oficina de Extranjería).
  2. Gather Required Documents

    • Assemble the necessary documents, ensuring they are translated and apostilled if required. Document specifics are provided in the “Required Documents” section below.
  3. Attend Appointment

    • Attend the appointment with all the required documents. Present these documents to the immigration officer.
  4. Fingerprinting and Submission

    • After submitting your documents, you will be asked to provide your fingerprints. This step is crucial for issuing your residence card.
  5. Resolution Period

    • Wait for the administrative decision. The processing time usually varies, but you will be notified once the card is ready for collection.
  6. Collect Your Card

    • Once notified, collect your residence card from the designated office.

Required Documents

Below is a list of required documents you need to submit:

  1. Application Form (EX-19)

    • Fill out and sign the application form.
  2. Passport

    • Both original and a copy of the non-EU family member’s valid passport.
  3. Proof of Relationship

    • Document proving your relationship with the EU citizen (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.). These documents may need to be translated and apostilled.
  4. EU Citizen’s ID

    • A copy of the EU citizen’s passport or national ID.
  5. Proof of Residence in Spain

    • Document that proves the EU citizen’s residence in Spain, such as a rental contract, property deed, or registration certificate (Empadronamiento).
  6. Health Insurance

    • Proof that the non-EU family member has health insurance coverage in Spain.
  7. Economic Means

    • Evidence showing that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself and your family member.
  8. Two Passport-Sized Photos

Providers that can do it for you

(We are currently curating the best providers. If you are or know a provider, please contact us or edit the page directly)


Additional details

  • The term “arraigo familiar” refers to a specific process to obtain residency based on family ties but is distinct from the residence card procedure, which is specifically for non-EU family members of EU citizens.
  • For further assistance, consider reaching out to legal experts or immigration advisors who specialize in Spanish immigration laws.


Improve this article by using the contact form or editing it through our open-source GitHub repository: tramitit/guides